When several groups form in an area, they soon realize that they can better perform certain together rather than separately. So the groups may form an intergroup that is directly responsible to the groups it serves. Intergroups spring from a need to provide service for a number of local groups and better information about OA in a community (adapted from OA Handbook for Members, Groups, Intergroups).
Typical services provided by an intergroup are:
- Providing a central telephone number for information about OA and the local meetings
- Publishing regular newsletters or bulletins to keep groups informed about each other and upcoming OA events
- Coordinating speakers, public information and contact with the professional community
- Maintaining a supply of OA literature and OA and AA books
- Sending delegates to regional assemblies and the World Service Business Conference
For central and northern Arizona that Intergroup is called, Arizona Serenity in the Desert Intergroup, or ASDI. Our Intergroup Number is 09601.
ASDI Intergroup meets at 1pm on the third Saturday of each month at the OA Office, located in the Stratford strip mall at 1219 E. Glendale Ave #23, Phoenix, 85020. Anyone can attend.
The normal makeup of the monthly Intergroup meeting consists of Intergroup Representatives from each OA group in the area when possible, committee chairs, and the Intergroup ‘Board’, which is just a description for the trusted servants who occupy the positions of: Chair, Vice Chair, Recording Secretary, Communications Secretary and Treasurer.
Current ASDI Intergroup officers are:
Treasurer: Bob R
Recording Secretary: Lisa
To contact an ASDI Intergroup officer, click here.